How to Lock a Chromebook
Chromebooks are very secure machines, but as they say, the greatest security system in the world won't matter if you forget to lock the front door. It's important to make sure you lock your Chromebook because it's a gateway into your Google account. Here's how to lock Chromebook when you're not using it.
Using the Chromebook Lock Screen
- Go to Settings by clicking the clock in the bottom right corner of the screen, then click the Settings gear icon.
Click Screen Lock.
- Enter your password for your Chromebook.
- Make sure the Show lock screen when waking from sleep toggle is on.
How to Lock Your Chromebook
There are six different ways to lock your Chromebook. Some of these methods may vary from model to model (some options may be missing form certain models), but rest assured all of these will accomplish the same result:
- Press and hold the Lock key on your keyboard. After about 2 seconds, your Chromebook will lock.
- Press and hold the Power button on your Chromebook, then select Lock.
- Press the Magnifying Glass key + L on your keyboard.
- Walk away from your Chromebook. By default if your Chromebook is plugged in, the screen will turn off in 8 minutes and go to sleep in 30 minutes. If it is not, the screen will turn off in 6 minutes and go to sleep in 10 minutes.
- Close the lid of your Chromebook.
- Click the clock in the lower right corner and then click Lock.
Latest news and sections
- How to Rotate the Screen on Chromebook
- How to Lock a Chromebook
- How to Take Screenshots on Chromebook
- What Is a CDR File?